Are you passionate about science and its power to cure patients? Do you thrive working in a fast-paced environment with an innovative team of collaborators? Are you detail-oriented, with excellent organizational and analytical skills?
If you answered yes, then we invite you to consider joining Deka Biosciences!
Who We Are
Deka’s mission is to deliver life-changing medicines to patients with cancer and inflammatory diseases by developing novel cytokine therapies.
Deka Biosciences is a venture-backed, clinical-stage biotech company focused on developing novel cytokine therapies to treat cancer and inflammatory diseases such as Crohn’s, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, and sepsis. The company is led by experienced biopharma and former CDMO entrepreneurs with expertise in drug discovery, product development, characterization, and testing. Deka has developed disease specific Diakines™ that maximize patient benefits through improved pharmacokinetics / pharmacodynamics (PK/PD) function via targeted delivery of dual and complimentary cytokines to affected tissues or cells. Through the use of precision medicine, Deka’s vision is to maximize the impact of its DiakineTM therapeutic proteins by ensuring treatment of the correct patient population.
Organization Name: Deka Biosciences
Location: Germantown, Maryland
Position Profile/Primary Objective
Deka is looking for an entry level or mid-level associate scientist or scientist to facilitate flow cytometry core services. The applicant is expected to collaborate with other members of the research and development team to conduct necessary experiments. The candidate will also assist with performing general laboratory duties and, from time-to-time, work with in vitro and in vivo assay teams to help with their duties. This opportunity is a full-time on-site position at its headquarters located in Germantown, MD. Job title will be commensurate upon relevant experience.
- Have a moderate to advanced understanding of immunology and cell biology.
- Highly experienced with flow cytometry techniques including immunophenotyping (IPT), intracellular staining (ICS), receptor occupancy (RO), and cell sorting using conventional and/or spectral optics. Preference will be given to candidates with direct experience using BD LSRFortessaTM, Cytek® Aurora, and/or BD FACSAriaTM III instruments.
- Proficient in processing analytical and control samples for flow cytometry analysis including PBMCs, anticoagulated whole blood, and compensation beads.
- Experienced in performing daily, weekly, and monthly flow cytometer maintenance including processing of Cytometry Setup and Tracking (CST) beads.
- Experienced in troubleshooting sample processing and instrument malfunctions.
- Familiar with flow cytometry control material (e.g., CD-ChexTM, IMMUNO-TROLTM, Veri-CellsTM, etc.) and quantitative cytometry beads (e.g., QuantumTM MESF).
- Have working knowledge of flow cytometry data analysis and basic gating strategies.
- Experienced in asceptic techniques, PBMC isolations and routine cell culture. The ideal candidate would also have experience processing biological tissues using gentleMACSTM or comparable dissociators.
- Prepare buffers, solutions, and routine lab chemicals.
- Organize and keep accurate and meticulous records of all experiments in an electronic lab notebook.
- Be responsible for general laboratory duties such as cleaning and maintenance, ordering/receiving supplies, data entry into spreadsheets, recording sample entries into liquid nitrogen storage, and managing research database.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Life Sciences (e.g., biochemistry, chemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, cell biology, immunology).
- Minimum of two (2) years of laboratory experience in a related field within an industrial biotech, pharmaceutical, or CRO environment. Candidates with highly relevant full-time academic experience in lieu of industry experience may be considered.
- Proficiency in the principles of cellular and molecular biology as they relate to immunology.
- Ability to work well within a team environment and be able to communicate effectively.
- Working independently with minimal instruction and a good problem solver.
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced work environment.
- Detail oriented, good documentation practices, technical writing, and presentation skills.
- Proficiency with electronic/digital platforms such as Electronic Lab Notebooks/LIMS, SharePoint, MS Office.
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing background, relevant experience as it relates to the position, as well as salary history and requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deka Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Disabled/Vet.
Employment and advancement opportunities are available to all individuals on an at-will basis, regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protective hairstyle, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.