Position: Small Animal Technician
Are you passionate about science and its power to cure patients? Do you thrive working in a fast-paced environment with an innovative team of collaborators? Are you detail-oriented, with excellent organizational and analytical skills?
If you answered yes, then we invite you to consider joining Deka Biosciences!
Who We Are
At Deka we aspire to radically change healthcare by developing cures for cancer and autoimmune patients by combining precision patient selection with the world’s most effective immunotherapies.
Deka Biosciences is a venture-backed biotech company focused on the development of novel cytokine therapies to treat cancer and inflammatory diseases such as Crohn’s, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis and sepsis. The company is led by experienced academic, biopharma and CDMO entrepreneurs with expertise in drug discovery, product development, characterization and testing. Deka has developed disease-specific Diakines™ that maximize patient benefits through improved pharmacokinetics / pharmacodynamics (PK/PD) function via targeted delivery of dual and complimentary cytokines to affected tissues or cells. Through the use of precision medicine, Deka’s vision is to maximize the impact of its DiakineTM therapeutic proteins by ensuring treatment of the correct patient population.
Organization Name: Deka Biosciences
Location: Germantown, Maryland
Position Profile/Primary Objective
Deka is looking for an entry level or mid-level small animal research technician. The research technician will work in support of investigator’s research and will be responsible for monitoring and coordinating our small animal studies with external providers. The research technician may also, from time to time, assist with the performance of general laboratory duties in support of other research & development workstreams.
- Support Deka’s investigators with in vivo small animal studies;
- Travel to local (within 50 miles of Deka’s headquarters) numerous vivarium to interact with external study directors and animal research technicians;
- Directing and monitoring activities of external animal technicians in performance of study objectives (such as but not limited to using proper implantation techniques of various cell lines, using proper dosing techniques for test articles, and using proper assessment, measurement, and scoring of outcomes associated with test articles);
- Documenting, observing, and recording relevant information pertaining to the animal studies;
- Act as a liaison between external providers and Deka investigators;
- Work weekends and holidays, as needed; and
- Assist with other non-small animal related laboratory duties as assigned.
- Must be comfortable with preclinical research in animals;
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in veterinary, biology, or other animal science-related field is required, and a Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT) or ALAT certification is preferred;
- Experience with handling small animals and a working knowledge of proper implantation techniques, dosing techniques, and measuring and scoring methods;
- Knowledgeable with various small animal models (e.g., mouse model for various human diseases including oncology and inflammatory diseases);
- Understanding of animal welfare and clinical testing regulations and standards; and
- Experience with the culture and maintenance of cell lines, for use in implantation to animals preferred but not mandatory.
- Working independently with minimal instruction and a good problem solver
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced work environment
- Effective collaboration skills with other team members to deliver results
- Detail oriented, good documentation practices, technical writing, and presentation skills
- Proficiency with electronic/digital platforms such as Electronic Lab Notebooks/LIMS, SharePoint, MS Office
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing background, relevant experience as it relates to the position, as well as salary history and requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deka Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Disabled/Vet.
Employment and advancement opportunities are available to all individuals on an at-will basis, regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protective hairstyle, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Deka Biosciences mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.